Depth chart clearing for coach Olson

The depth chart has been a mess of talent for the Central Michigan volleyball this summer.

The question is, what will the team look like when it hits the court today in Iowa.

The most heated position battle has been between setters, senior Catherine Ludwig and sophomore Kelly Maxwell.

“Ludwig is a senior and brings an entire year of experience as well as some key comeback victories off the bench her sophomore year,” said head coach Erik Olson. “She understands what I want and she is a very good setter.”

Maxwell brings a little more athleticism, but struggled her freshman year after missing a good chunk of the season.

“Her desire to learn and her absolute determination shows she wants to play,” Olson said of Maxwell. “She doesn’t want to be a backup this year.”

But Olson is giving the nod to Ludwig this weekend when the team plays against the Hawkeyes.

Another battle took place with the middle blocker spot. After preseason All-MAC honoree senior Kaitlyn Schultz, it becomes a position battle for the backup between sophomore Danielle Gotham and freshman Hallie Enderle.

“In the beginning we felt that (Danielle) Gotham was better, but needed to improve on her offense,” Olson said. “But now we think (Hallie) Enderle is pretty strong with blocking and is still trying to figure out her sets.”

It is basically a deadlock tie between the two with both players having the ability to go in for the other and make a difference.

The right side hitter is up in the air as of now because of an injury to junior Jocelyn VerVelde.

“She got going for a bit, but got a sore stomach and we are being cautious with that because we don’t want it to turn into something,” he said.

The team worked Schultz out at the right side with Gotham or Enderle next to her at middle blocker.

“We tried Schultz at the right side and really like what we saw, especially with Gotham or Enderle next to her,” Olson said. “I think it’s a temporary fix right now and it will give our other two middles some experience.”

The outside hitter competition is deep with young talent and veteran experience between freshman Kaitlyn McIntyre, junior Val DeWeerd, junior Lindsey Dulude and junior Kaite Schuette.

“McIntyre has shown the way to be a leader at outside hitter,” Olson said. “But we kind of think Lindsey (Dulude) is more consistent of the next three and Schuette can backup both McIntyre and Dulude and Val (DeWeerd) is versatile as well.”