EMU strike in 2006 similar to CMU Faculty Association strike now

Central Michigan University is not the first university in recent years to experience its faculty union striking.

Eastern Michigan University also had a similar work stoppage in September 2006. The American Association of University Professors-Eastern Michigan University Chapter, struck for 14 days before factfinding helped the two sides come to a compromise.

EMU-AAUP also had a work stoppage in 2000 and 2004.

The CMU administration filed an injunction in circuit court Monday morning, halting the FA work stoppage, stating it illegal.

University President George Ross held a press conference Monday where he spoke about the FA work stoppage. Ross compared CMU to EMU and told the crowd to read the record.

“President Martin at Eastern Michigan University laid off more than 70 people,” Ross said.

However, according to EMU’s office of communications and public affairs, they laid off 37 people.

The source from the communications office said there were 75 total positions eliminated, however 38 of those positions were not filled at the time. EMU has also been calling people back to work, and their layoff number now stands at 25.

The Michigan Employment Relations Commission conducted the factfinding for EMU’s strike in 2006. According to their website, “The Michigan Employment Relations Commission resolves labor disputes involving public and private sector employees by appointing mediators, arbitrators and factfinders, conducting union representation elections, determining appropriate bargaining units, and adjudicating unfair labor practice cases.”

Ultimately, the factfinding result was in favor of EMU-AAUP, said executive director of media relations Geoff Larcom.

“The fact-finding praised the professionalism of the two sides,” he said.

EMU-AAUP President Susan Moeller said EMU administration threatened the union to file an injunction in 2006, but never went through with it.

“They threaten but never do anything…Washtenaw County is much more pro-union (than Isabella County),” Moeller said. “We thought we were correct.”

When asked about Ross’ comment on job layoff at EMU, Moeller said Ross "does not know what he’s talking about."

EMU-AAUP treasurer Howard Bunsis is familiar with the CMU FA situation, having stood in their shoes before. Bunsis was the EMU-AAUP president when they went on strike in 2006.

“We at EMU strongly support the FA,” Bunsis said.“They’re very courageous.”

Bunsis said the FA is asserting their collective bargaining rights.

“(The FA) wants to be back in the classroom and want to be teaching their students,” he said.