Fighting back against the 'freshman 15' isn't easy

Freeland sophomore Emily Doyle was determined not to gain the dreaded “freshman 15" when she started her freshman year at Central Michigan University last fall.

Doyle said she and her roommate exercised four to six days a week for 30 minutes to an hour each day.

“We went down to the workout center to use the machines," she said. "Sometimes we did a workout DVD in our room and sometimes we just took a really long walk."

They also watched what they ate in the cafeteria. Doyle avoided fattier dishes and chose more soups, salads and sandwiches at meal times, often taking a piece of fruit back to her room to snack on later.

Dietitian Kati Mora, who runs a nutrition practice in Mount Pleasant, said college students often see weight gain in their first year away from home because “this is the first time they’re able to make food decisions that are completely their own. They’re adjusting to that food choice freedom.”

Portage junior Kris Baron had a different experience in his first year at CMU.

“I kind of consider myself to have gained the 'freshman 30,'” Baron said.

Baron said his weight gain was due to the “endless amount of food.”

“You could go anytime and eat as much as you want and there were always deserts and goodies available,” he said.

Baron said since he lost the weight he put on freshmen year, and then some, he estimated his weight loss at over 70 pounds.

“Basically I cut out fast food, tried not to eat late at night and snacked on fruits and veggies rather than bag after bag of chips,” he said.

Baron also started working out every day, usually running on a treadmill or elliptical machine.

To avoid weight gain, Mora recommended students use the new “Choose My Plate” method, which has replaced the traditional “food pyramid” illustration of the government’s dietary guidelines.

“It’s a great visual to use,” Mora said. “As a general rule, choose more fruits and vegetables and go easy on the rest.”

Eating small meals or snacks every three to four hours helps prevent binging on junk food or overeating at the next meal, Mora said.