Veteran CMU volleyball team battling for positions and championships

Head coach Erik Olson and his staff have something special brewing with Central Michigan volleyball this season.

After two seasons as one of the youngest teams in the Mid-American Conference, this team is now one of the oldest and filled with veteran leadership.

Senior middle blocker Kaitlyn Schultz, which is looking for her fourth All-MAC honor, would make her the most decorated player in CMU volleyball history.

Position battles arise with a veteran team and four straight nationally ranked recruiting classes.

Arguably one of the more interesting battles is at setter, between sophomore Kelly Maxwell and incumbent starter, senior Catherine Ludwig.

“Maxwell has started off camp very strong,” Olson said. “It will be interesting to see who emerges out of preseason when both have made tremendous improvements.”

The outside hitter position is between juniors Katie Schuette, Val DeWeerd, Lindsey Dulude and freshman Kaitlyn McIntyre.

At the right side position, is junior Jocelyn VerVelde, who currently has a broken finger, but should be back next week. If she can’t go by week one, then freshman Hallie Enderle would be the projected starter.

“She led us in kills and hitting percentage last spring and I expect her to be All-MAC,” Olson said of VerVelde. “I expect big things out of her, she just hasn’t been able to train at the same intensity. She has been blocking with one hand and making a difference.”

As of now, the libero will be sophomore Jenna Coats and the defensive specialist is senior Kelsey Detweiler. Junior Samantha Brawley has become a leader and captain and will find playing time.

Freshman Haley Barker will be transitioning into a defensive specialist, as she continues to grow into the position.

There is still a battle for the number two spot behind Schultz. It’s between redshirt sophomore Danielle Gotham and Enderle.

“Enderle knows how to play and she is a fighter,” Olsen said. “It’s not always pretty, but she is winning in practice.”

Each team in the MAC West is ranked in the top 100 in the nation. It will be battle for the top spot, but CMU seems up for that battle.

“Our overall goal is to win the MAC and compete in the NCAA Tournament,” Schultz said.

No matter who ends up on the floor for CMU, they will be battletested and ready to compete for the programs first MAC championship.