CMU volleyball rallies to win in fifth game.

You couldn’t ask for a better match to open up McGuirk Arena for the 2011-2012 school year.

The Central Michigan volleyball team made its McGuirk debut and it was one to remember with a come from behind win against rival Eastern Michigan.

The Chippewas (8-6, 1-2 Mid-American Conference) found their stride in game three against the Eagles (13-4, 1-2MAC) and stormed back to win the match in five games.

“We did not play very sharp in games one and two and I felt the arena was pretty darn quite," said head coach Erik Olson. "That wasn’t the arena’s fault though, it was ours. It’s a great facility and once we got going it was great.”

Olson was right about CMU starting out slow.

After blowing a 21-18 lead in game one and trailing by two or three throughout game two, the Chippewas fought through game three to avoid the sweep.

Olson called a timeout trailing EMU 20-18 and the momentum changed.

“We continued to redefine our defensive adjustments,” Olson said. “We we’re challenging them because it was a big moment.”

CMU took control of the game and match after a kill by sophomore middle blocker Danielle Gotham and a block to follow it up for the win.

The Chippewas controlled game four from start to finish, dominating the Eagles 25-16.

CMU was able to do something it hasn't been able to in the past few years, winning game five 15-9 and finishing the comeback.

“A five-set match is a big deal because we haven’t had recent success there,” Olson said. “This will be a big turning point in the season.”

CMU was lead by senior middle blocker Kaitlyn Schultz who recorded her season-high 20-kills.

“It’s very exciting to get my first 20-kill game of the season,” Schultz said. “I didn’t even realize it until I looked up at the scoreboard after the match.”

Sophomore libero Jenna Coates recorded a career-high 28-digs, while fellow sophomore (setter) Kelly Maxwell recorded 62 assists.

The Chippewas are back in action at 7 p.m. Saturday night when they host Kent State (7-11, 0-3 MAC).