Field hockey looks to stay unbeaten in Ann Arbor

The Central Michigan field hockey team is undefeated, for now.

This weekend it looks to continue that trend.

The Chippewas play at 2 p.m. Friday against the University of Michigan and then at 10 a.m. on Saturday against the University of Bucknell.

Michigan is ranked 14th in the nation and will be one of the best teams CMU faces yet this season.

The Wolverines have won four of five games played between the two schools in the past five seasons.

“Michigan is always a good team to play,” head coach Cristy Freese said. “We go into every game thinking we can win. The players are going to be playing under a lot more pressure and I’m interested to see how we react to more speed and a better opponent.”

The Wolverines (2-2) have played tough competition in their two losses with one coming against No. 1 Maryland and another against No. 2 North Carolina.

Bucknell

Bucknell has not had much luck on the field this season. The Bisons started 0-3, yet to score a single goal.

This week during practice CMU continued to work on field execution, focusing in on passing up the field and converting more shots and corners.

“The team has been a little sluggish at practice this week,” Freese said. “ Wednesday practices are tough with some players’ class schedules lapping over practice time, but I expect the team to come out ready and focused for this weekend.”

Opening the season with two wins gives CMU confidence moving forward.

“We’ve stepped it up so far this year and we are playing with a more positive outlook,” senior Midfielder Paulina Lee said. “The starters and the bench players know their roles on the team and we are looking forward to prove something this weekend.”

This week sophomore Julianna Makrinos won the State Farm Scholar-Athlete of the week. Makrinos is the first CMU field hockey player to win the award.

The Venetia, Pa. native scored three times in two games while also adding two assists, duplicating her totals for her entire freshman year.

“Its really nice that my hard work in school and on the field is recognized,” Makrinos said. “I couldn’t do it without my teammates; they pass me the ball and I just tip it in.”