Ross talks about 'civility', goals at State of the University Address

University President George Ross says Central Michigan University is in a strong position.

Ross delivered the State of the University Address to a crowd of about 500 people Wednesday afternoon in Warriner Hall's Plachta Auditorium.

"We will set aggressive goals and work together in the spirit of civility to continue the legacy of our great university as we light that torch and blaze a trail toward our future," Ross said. "Our students and our community deserve nothing less."

Provost Gary Shapiro opened the address by going through the goals of the university. These included the prioritization process with databasing, strengthening the faculty and employee capabilities and adding the medical school and a new biosciences building.

"Our goal is to prepare our students for success after they graduate, both professionally and personally," he said.

Shapiro also discussed the need for CMU to increase the international students and faculty at CMU, and also increase students who study abroad.

"This year was the highest number for minority enrollment in the history of the school," Shapiro said. "Indeed CMU has come a long way in diversifying our students and staff, however, we still have a long way to go.”

A crowd of about 100 Faculty Association members sat in the front rows and did not applaud for Shapiro or Ross. FA members had been marching in protest around Warriner since 2 p.m. chanting, "We know Truth! FA Strong!"

Michael Bailey, executive director for Michigan's American Association of University Professors, attended the protest and said the FA was an inspiration.

Ross highlited CMU successes, including the debate team, the GPAs of CMU athletes and the tuition increase being the lowest in the state. CMU is facing difficult budget cuts, he said, but if the university unifies together in the spirit of civility, the school can build a foundation of success for future students.

Moments after Ross finished speaking, FA President Laura Frey was on a table outside giving her reaction to FA protesters. She said pressure for unity has come from the FA, not from the administration. Frey said CMU's problems stem from a "leadership deficit crisis".

"I'm looking for President Ross and his administration to emulate these core values in their interaction with all faculty and all students." Frey said. "I want to see President Ross ... walk the walk and talk the talk."

Saginaw freshman Dan Ahrens said Ross made good points, but also skimmed over important things like the university and the FA. He said he wished Ross had used more "nitty gritty" examples.

St. Claire freshman Cody Armstrong said it was obvious Ross’ comments on civility referred to the situation between the administration and the Faculty Association. Armstrong said both groups have been uncivil during this process and hopes they work it out.

“It’s good that they want to come together,” Armstrong said. “It’s certainly better for us as students.”