Rep. Cotter, other officials commemorate heroism at local 9/11 event

Mount Pleasant Fire Department Sgt. Rich Clark defines true heroism from his remembrance of emergency workers in New York City on September 11, 2001.

"I'm not (a hero)," he said. "These people helped people they didn't even know that day. They didn't think of themselves, they thought of others. We can all learn a great deal from these heroes. Always stop and think of how you can help someone else."

Sacred Heart Academy commemorated the tenth anniversary of 9/11 Friday morning, hosting several speakers including Kevin Cotter, R-Mount Pleasant, and members of the Mount Pleasant police and fire departments.

"I think it's important not only to remember but to share with the children at Sacred Heart," Cotter said. "Many here at the time were not yet born or too young to remember. It's important to share the memory with students so the veterans and event will be remembered."

Cmdr. Nick Cononico, a member of Mount Pleasant Veterans of Foreign Wars Michigan Post 3033, said the "first step is always to try everything in your power not to fight, to try to gain peace."

"The heroes of Flight 93 should be remembered, as they brought peace to the White House. Freedom isn't free," he said.

Following the speakers, elementary students recited the Pledge of Allegiance, a poem about peace and sang "Let There Be Peace on Earth," with acoustic accompaniment from a teacher.

This was the second 9/11 commemoration ceremony Cotter attended this weekend.

In office, he is working to increase the number of veterans receiving benefits and the amount they receive, he said.

Sacred Heart fifth grader Anna Reid enjoyed the ceremony, and was glad she had the opportunity to learn more about an important event in our history.

"I learned that the people who saved the victims in the buildings on 9/11 were all true heroes," she said.

In his speech, Cotter reminded everyone that 9/11 was an "attack not only on buildings, but on our freedom and our way of life."

"A lot of us have heroes like sports stars and celebrities. But the very special term 'hero' should be reserved for the brave men and women who served on 9/11," he said.