Student leaves for deployment, worried to leave friends, family behind

Before Pfc. Jakob Russell left Mount Pleasant for training for his upcoming deployment overseas, he said he was not concerned about his own wellbeing.

Going overseas to serve in the military can cause a great deal of stress for friends and family of military members, the Traverse City junior said.

Leading up to his departure Friday, Russell said his anxiety began to rise when thinking of his loved ones.

“In all honesty, I am not nervous for myself,” Russell said. “I am more worried for my friends and family.”

Joining the U.S. Army was something Russell said he always wanted to do. It took a combination of patriotism and school being paid for to make his decision, he said.

Central Michigan University students are eligible to earn full tuition in scholarships for two to four years, as well as money for books and monthly living expenses.

Russell will most likely be gone for about a year, however, the exact date of his return is confidential.

Croswell junior Lesley Sly, a friend of Russell’s, said she wishes citizens were more educated about the war because men and women are risking their lives.

“No one really knows why we’re going overseas,” she said.

Tyler Champt, another close friend of Russell's, said he could not be more proud.

The Traverse City junior said he wished Russell did not have to go overseas because the plan was for him to stay in school this year.

“It’s sad that he’s going to leave, but I’m also kind of proud to be friends with him because he is going to serve our country,” Champt said.

Both Sly and Champt said they pray for Russell’s safe return home.

“I’m just worried how my family and friends going to take it, but as for myself, I’m perfectly okay with it," Russell said.