Spectrum promotes Coming Out Week with events targeting LGBT issues

Spectrums's goal it is to improve conditions for not just those who are gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender.

President Justin Gawronski, a Macomb sophomore, said Spectrum works to create visibility for the LGBT community on campus and educate students on issues to decrease ignorance.

Formerly the Gay-Straight Alliance, Spectrum changed their name because they felt it was too exclusive, and their mission is to be inclusive with everyone.

“It better represents what we are, including those who identity with LGBT and allies as well,” Gawronski said.

This year during Homecoming Week, Spectrum will play an important role in Coming Out Week, which Gawronski said is a time to provide extra comfort and support for those trying to find and bring forth their sexual identity.

The week will include events like queer monologue performances, poet Andrea Gibson, drag queen bingo and coming out at Kaya Coffee & Tea Co., 1029 S. University St., house where students can share their story.

“We want to create more visibility for the LGBT community and put it out there that Spectrum exists and we’re here for any support needed, or if you want to become an advocate, become more tolerant, ask questions, promote tolerance or just make CMU a safer place,” Gawronski said.

Jon Humiston, adviser for Spectrum and student ombuds officer, President's Office Assistant, has been involved in the LGBT community since his undergraduate studies in 1992. Humiston said he believes the club makes a positive influence on the community

"They help raise awareness about the LGBT community, and they’re a big part in making campus safer,” he said.