Alpha Psi Omega to host 'Rocky Horror Picture Show' at Broadway Theatre this weekend

The transvestite from Transsexual, Transylvania Dr. Frank-N-Furter and the rest of the gang will be at the Broadway Theatre this weekend for a “Rocky Horror Picture Show” event.

Presented by Alpha Psi Omega (APO), the annual tradition will feature the film "The Rocky Horror Picture Show” playing on the big screen, as actors from the honorary theater fraternity act out main characters in front of the film.

The event will be held at 8 p.m. and midnight on Friday and Saturday at the theatre, 216 E. Broadway St.

“Come as scantily clad as you want,” said Catherine Callahan, co-chairwoman of the event.

The Saginaw senior said the event helps to raise money for theater productions throughout the year and the fraternity’s philanthropy organization, Big Brothers, Big Sisters.

“This is our biggest fundraising event of the year," she said.

This year APO decided to do something different.

“At 8 p.m. on Friday we’re doing a gender swap,” Callahan said. “It’s a fun new take on 'Rocky Horror.'”

There will also be a costume contest before each showing with categories “sexiest male,” “sexiest female,” “'Rocky Horror' cast member look-a-like” and “most creative.”

Members from the Broadway Theatre agreed they are honored to host the event.

“It’s quite a cultural event,” said Phil Mikus, chairman of the Friends of the Broadway Board of Trustees and Union Township resident.

The Friends of the Broadway Theatre is a non-profit organization that owns and operates the theater.

“'Rocky Horror Picture Show' at the Broadway is a truly different experience and a great combo of live theater and motion picture,” Mikus said. “It’s fantastic when the audience participates, chanting lines and well known barbs, throwing things at the characters; it’s exciting from one minute to the next.”

According to the Broadway Theatre’s website, tickets for the show cost $5 and are available at friendsofthebroadway.org.

Callahan said APO will also be selling tickets in front of the Townsend Kiva in Moore Hall or at the show. Prop bags, which include toast, rubber gloves, playing cards and newspapers cost $1 and will be available to purchase in front of the Kiva or at the event.