Alumni and undergraduates mix at Past and Present Luncheon Friday

Undergraduate students interested in meeting alumni professionals working in their fields will have a chance to do so at a lunch Friday.

Starting at 11:30 a.m. in the Bovee University Center Maroon and Gold Rooms, the Student Alumni Association will be hosting a Past and Present Luncheon. This event brings back Central Michigan University alumni to talk with undergraduate students about future professions.

“The Past and Present Luncheon is an event we host annually, it is completely free for students and very beneficial,” said Annie Sanders, assistant director of Alumni Relations.

At the luncheon, students are matched with alumni who have the same major or career path. Each table will have one or two alumni and students are able to ask them any questions about a specific career, resume help and networking, Sanders said.

Emily Hall, Saginaw junior and SAA president, said she attended the event last year and it made her want to get more involved with SAA.

“I was scared and didn’t really know what to expect at first. Once I sat down, I realized there was a sheet put out that had questions just in case I got too nervous or comfortable to ask my own," Hall said. "This made the luncheon an easy, comfortable and knowledgeable time for me."

Hall received information from a retired elementary school teacher. She said the teacher gave her networking ideas, good advice and she walked away with her phone number and email address for any more questions she may have.

Alumni from many career fields attend, including education and integrated public relations.

“One of our main goals is to bridge the gap between students and alumni," Sanders said. "The alumni are excited to come help out and the students are eager to take away their knowledge."

Signing up is free and is available until the time of the luncheon. Students who sign up are encouraged to dress business professional and have questions ready for the alumni.

“It is a great opportunity to meet new people, learn more about your future career and get a free lunch,” Hall said.