Chippewa Rock Rally 'the ultimate pep rally'

Central Michigan University dancers, marching band members, cheerleaders, football players, singers and students got fired up for homecoming during the 2011 Chippewa Rock Rally Friday night.

“This is the ultimate pep rally,” said Chippewa Rock Rally Coordinator and Iron River senior Erica Lake. “It encompasses all aspects of campus coming together to get fired up for the game Saturday.”

Nine Maroon Cup teams presented their “I Dream a Dream” seven-minute, choreographed dances, also known as mock rocks, at Warriner Hall's Plachta Auditorium.

Lake said teams could earn up to five points in the categories of “Spirit,” “Originality,” “Theme,” “Creativity” and “Overall Performance,” for 25 total points. New to the Rock Rally were special categories “Best Dressed” and “Magic Moment” (the crowds’ favorite moment), each worth 15 points.

Fireworks, costumes and music ranging from The Beatles to dubstep were incorporated in the fairytale-themed acts. The Eastern Michigan University Eagles made appearance throughout the night as they were portrayed by teams as evil characters from the stories like “The Lion King” and “Alice in Wonderland.”

Trout Hall won the overall competition with a total of 24 points, as well as the “Best Dressed” and “Magic Moment” bonus categories.

“It’s unbelievable,” said Midland sophomore Josh Finch, an RA in Trout Hall. “We saw so many amazing presentations, especially by Larzelere and Calkins, and we won. This is such a good night.”

Larzelere Hall took second place with 22.5 points and Kappa Kappa Psi took third.

Judges of mock rocks included CMU community members like Pat Beirne, CMU cheerleading head coach and Ariel Black, Central Michigan Life managing editor.

Besides mock rocks, the event showcased CMU acapella groups On the Rox, Central Harmony, and Fish N' Chips. The CMU drum line opened the event, joined later by other members of the Marching Chips who played pep band songs and the CMU fight song.

CMU football Head Coach Dan Enos and members of the football team encouraged students to attend the game on Saturday.

Student Government Association President Vince Cavataio, Shelby Township senior, attended the event to show his support for students.

“I think this is the most exciting event of Homecoming week,” Cavataio said. “The energy here is overwhelming. The auditorium is full, so there are at least 1,500 people here.”

Other entertainment included a visit from Grand Marshal Scott McNeal and the announcing of Freshman of the Year Rebecca Schneider of West Valley and Homecoming Gold Ambassadors, Detroit senior Alan Jones and Clarkston senior Meredith Clark.