Chris Tucker wraps up Homecoming Week with stand-up show

ark-tucker
Actor and comedian Chris Tucker, performs stand-up Saturday night at Warriner Hall's Plachta Auditorium as part of the 2011 Homecoming festivities. (Andrew Kuhn/Assistant Photo Editor)

Chris Tucker and two opening acts concluded Homecoming Week with jokes and dance moves Saturday night.

About 1,200 people gathered in Warriner Hall’s Plachta Auditorium to watch Tucker’s stand-up show.

Tucker danced onto the stage, accompanied by fog and flashing lights. He was applauded as he flaunted his Central Michigan University sweatshirt.

“I am in the middle of nowhere-land here (in Mount Pleasant),” Tucker said. “I was like, 'Where the hell am I?' I thought I was going to prison.”

The audience laughed at Tucker’s mocking description of Mount Pleasant. He also cracked jokes about CMU’s football loss against Eastern Michigan University, targeting the football players among the crowd.

Farmington Hills freshman Shafer Johnson said the show was everything he expected it to be.

“(The show) was really funny, especially when he started mocking (people) in the audience,” Johnson said. “London Brown was also really funny.”

Brown was the second opening act to Tucker’s show. He was discovered by Tucker and has been on tour with him since May.

Brown’s show involved dramatic body movement and he used the microphone in his jokes and dance moves. The audience laughed at his ballet-type performance as he described an airplane flight.

Comedian Terry Hodges was the other opening act. He emphasized the need for people to enjoy life.

“You just have to have some fun,” Hodges said. “But stay away from drugs and alcohol.”

Tucker joked about his recent troubles with the IRS and encouraged audience members to save their money. He also mentioned his recent speeding ticket and called police childish for waiting around for speeding cars.

As part of his ending act, Tucker did an impression of Michael Jackson, complete with singing a portion of Jackson’s “Why.”

Paul Barlow said he enjoyed hearing Tucker talk about Michael Jackson. The Mount Pleasant senior said he found it to be a well-rounded show.

“It’s more than just a show,” Barlow said. “Chris always has some advice within his shows. It’s always good to hear him.”