CMU volleyball sweeps weekend with wins over Akron, Buffalo

The Central Michigan volleyball team extended its streak to five as it swept Buffalo and Akron over the weekend.

The Chippewas (14-7 overall, 7-3 Mid-American Conference) captured their longest winning streak since 2009 after beating the Bulls for their second-straight sweep.

“We did what we had to do to win,” said right side hitter Jocelyn VerVelde. “We played more efficient tonight than last night and we’re looking forward to go into a big (MAC) West weekend.”

Buffalo (9-15 overall, 2-8 MAC) failed to score 20 points in a set, losing 25-17, 25-15 and 25-19 respectively.

VerVelde has been a huge factor since returning from injury. Having her with senior middle blocker Kaitlyn Schultz and sophomore middle blocker Danielle Gotham gives CMU a 6-foot-3 average block height.

Those three were a major contributor in the win as the team recorded 12-blocks, 10 that came from those three.

Head coach Erik Olson has his starting rotation intact now that the Chippewas have been at full strength for a couple weeks and it's showing their true potential with the recent wins.

“We’re more confident,” Olson said. “We ran through some injuries and I think we found our niche in conference here with winning.”

Akron

The Zips (4-18 overall, 1-8 MAC) kept it closer than the Bulls, but the result ended with CMU's first sweep of the weekend.

The Chippewas beat Akron 25-22, 25-16 and 25-20 respectively.

“Our hitters made better choices throughout the match and we dug really well,” Olson said. “We kept Akron to a .093 attack percentage and I think that was the key to the match.”

VerVelde started at right side hitter, but it was a question mark heading into Friday's game, deciding between her and junior Val DeWeerd.

“I think (Jocelyn) VerVelde blocked really well today,” Olson said. “This is a good weekend to get her going, but (Val) DeWeerd has done some great things, I told her not to lose her confidence because she is playing well.”

The Zips were flustered all night long and were plagued by some questionable calls that came at inopportune times.

“Perhaps Akron was reliving some bad calls we saw on tape from last week and there were a few tight calls tonight,” Olson said. “When you’re playing high-level volleyball and the ball is going fast it could go either way.”

Sophomore libero Jenna Coates, who was flying all over the court, racked up 22 digs, leading the team. CMU recorded 58 digs Friday

“My block did a good job of spacing out where I needed to be and I just made good reads,” Coates said.

The Chippewas welcome Western Michigan and Northern Illinois for the final home games of the season next weekend.