COLUMN: Being sick isn't pretty

With all of the coughing, sniffling and complaining, we know fall is now in full swing.

All the goo and glory of being sick can be witnessed pretty much anywhere on campus. Classes are filled with drowsy eyes, messy hair and clothes clearly worn to bed the night before.

Blame it on the season change or because of the never ending rainy weather, either way, being sick sucks.

It's especially daunting when you get all bundled up to the brave the cold wind and rain and then walk into a sauna of a classroom.

As I peel off my scarf, jacket, hoodie and gloves like a middle aged woman going through menopause I get those lovely stares from my classmates. The "ew" look stabs right  through  my heart every time I cough and sneeze in five-second intervals. Like it wasn't bad enough.

And then there is the looks of sympathy from fellow ill classmates. It's like an unhealthy bond between two people who cough at the same time... cough at first sight?

Taking an exam is the one time  when being sick is just plain wrong.

After dressing down to my two day old baggy sweatpants and wrinkly t-shirt, I sit down in my seat and prepare to take my exam. The exam I am about to hack my insides all over and hand in.

Instead of an extra pencil and eraser,  I line up the kleenex and cough drops on my desk. Just in case, right?

Then the feeling of shame begins when I let out a large coughs in between each scantron bubble, or when I ask my teacher a question with one hand in the air and the other glued to my nose with a kleenex.

One thing I l learned from being under the weather in school for the past 14 years, is to always be armed and ready. It never fails when every time I go to blow my nose and all that's available is that awful brown paper towel. It's like rubbing sandpaper on my nose leaving it worse than before, when it was full of snot.

My biggest pet peeve is when someone borrows my pen or pencil and goes on to stick it in their mouth while pondering a thought. Thoughts then run through my head of marching up to them and snatching it back without saying a word. Or saying "Actually, you can keep it," when they have the nerve to try and return it.

And of course, just when you're finally all better and good to go, the kid next to you sneezes all over. This vicious cycle has no immune system.

Welcome back, fall. With winter right around the corner, it is just going to get worse.