Dash for a Difference 5K to be held Saturday, benefit Special Olympics

Janet Fase said the Dash for a Difference 5K Saturday isn't like most charity runs.

“It's something different,” the Kalamazoo junior said. “I know 5Ks are everywhere and for every cause imaginable, but we put a fun twist on it.”

Battle Creek junior Kellie Murphy said the run will be broken up by obstacles like a tire run and carrying an egg on a spoon.

“It freaks a lot of people out when they hear '5K,'” Murphy said, “but it's definitely laid back.”

All proceeds from the event will go to Special Olympics Michigan. Runners will meet at 10 a.m. at Finch Fieldhouse and the run will begin at 11 a.m.

People shouldn't be intimidated by the length of the event, Murphy said.

Fase and Murphy are working together as part of a small group for a class, RPL 340: Therapeutic Recreation: Developmental Disabilities. This is their final project for the course, and they are hoping to make an impact with it.

Based on data from previous years, the group is planning to rais $300 with Dash for a Difference. They want to make a donation to Special Olympics Michigan, but also help spread awareness about the organization.

St. Johns sophomore David Presocki is also helping to organize the event, and said one of their goals is to have participants leave with new knowledge of Special Olympics Michigan.

“(We want to) offer a unique run for our participants as well as provide a chance to learn more about our charity,” Presocki said.

Registration is $15 and is open to the public until the event starts Saturday. The first 75 people to register will receive a free T-shirt. To register, visit the Dash for a Distance website or send an email to dashforadifference@gmail.com.