Panel of students share experiences in Native American tribes, prepare for heritage month

About 50 students gathered in the Bovee University Center's Auditorium Monday to hear a panel of students describe their Native American tribes.

Shelby Township sophomore Veronica Meadows said she attended Indigenous People's Day for the panel's insight.

"I think it's interesting to learn the perspective from students themselves," Meadows said. "I'm interested to see what their experience has been."

Eight students described 10 Michigan tribes, from their cultural traditions to their modern governmental processes.

Director of Native American Programs, Colleen Green, has hosted this event since she started at Central Michigan University in 2007.

Green said the student panel wanted to quell misunderstandings about the tribes.

"(We want to) give insight that they are diverse," Green said. "They don't exist as a single entity."

Colleen St. Onge spoke about the Sault Ste. Marie Tribe of Chippewa Indians.

"It's been a long process to be a federally recognized tribe," Onge said. "(and) also to get land."

The St. Ignace senior acted as the president of her tribal youth counsel. She said her personal connection with the tribe's initiatives are strong, and she saw this event as a beautiful opportunity to raise awareness and dispel misconceptions about the tribes.

After the panel, a group moved outside of the UC to watch Petoskey sophomore Raymond Shenoskey and Wisconsin resident R.J. Smith play the drums and sing to help spread awareness of the event.

The American Indian Programs will continue their efforts to educate student during November, which is Native American Heritage Month. This year's events include American Indian food tasting, environmental awareness and a presentation from keynote speaker Tatanka Means.

Information on individual events is available on CMU's Office for Institutional Diversity website.