The social context of disabilities discussed at Soup and Substance Monday

Duncan Wyeth used humor and personal stories during his presentation for Soup and Substance: The Social Context of Disability Monday.

Wyeth partnered with the Central Michigan University Multicultural Education Center and Deaf Blind Central for the event held from 12 to 1 p.m. in the Bovee University Center Rotunda.

Wyeth, a Michigan native, was diagnosed with cerebral palsy at a very young age.

“I consider it my first career move,” he joked.

He spent two years at Alma College and then transferred to Michigan State University. During those years, he said he spent his time denying and avoiding the fact that he had a disability.

“I avoided the other two kids at the school who were like me," he said. "I wasn’t one of them.”

Wyeth said it wasn't until he was in his mid-30s that he accepted himself for who he was and became an advocate for people with disabilities.

“Disabilities and life go hand in hand," Wyeth said. "We are all wheelchair bound — bound to use a wheelchair someday."

Wyeth spoke about how society at large and people with disabilities need to work together to start making an improvement.

“The barriers experienced are not within the person, they are barriers within the social and physical environment," Wyeth said. "We need to get rid of the concept of integration and talk about inclusion. We need to celebrate and honor those unique characteristics and accommodate instead of assimilate."

Beth Kennedy, project director of Deaf Blind Central, worked closely with Wyeth.

She said she hopes students will learn to make a connection with themselves and have an enlightening moment to see how they can change how they see diversity with race and gender.

Kennedy said she believes things are changing for the better on campus.

“A lot of activity is going on to make the campus more accessible and acceptable," she said. "It’s a time-consuming process that is still in motion."

Grand Blanc junior Kelly Freathy said she thoroughly enjoyed Wyeth’s presentation and took away an important message.

“We just need to to try and accommodate people’s disabilities instead of trying to make them ‘better,’” she said.