Top five male ambassador nominees represent CMU during Homecoming Week

Five men will receive recognition as they represent Central Michigan University during Homecoming Week.

Troy Heffron, Alan Jones, Will Damian, Robert Dolecki and Jon Rusch are the top five nominees for this year’s Homecoming Male Ambassador. One of the five will be voted by students and faculty members as Gold ambassador, to be announced Friday.

The five were first nominated by registered student organizations or campus organizations. They then filled out an application and were notified last May they had made top eight. Following was an interview process where five judges determined the top five.

“It’s neat seeing how we all came from different areas of campus and unique experiences,” Heffron said. “It’s a great honor to be able to represent CMU and be part of this tradition.”

The Greenville senior was nominated by the Volunteer Center’s Alternative Breaks program for which he is chairman.

Heffron said the program has helped him grow, understand diversity and increase his knowledge of social issues.

He is also involved in the Sports Management Association and is a resident assistant in Saxe Hall.

Jones was nominated by Kappa Alpha Psi. The Detroit senior said Kappa has been his outlet to do everything he has done in life and looks forward to the annual Homecoming festivities.

“Being Homecoming Ambassador is what I value and what I’m all about,” Jones said. “I am able to represent CMU and Homecoming to the level that it deserves.”

Jones also dedicates his time to Sexual Aggression Peer Advocates, is a RA in Herrig Hall, and is a part of Leadership Camp and Word Hammer.

Damian is the only non-senior nominee. The Holland native is in his third year at CMU.

He came into Leadership Camp as a high school senior and said the experience solidified his decision to attend CMU. He was chosen to be a facilitator as a freshman, and said his experience has influenced all his other involvements.

Damian was nominated by Larzelere Hall Council. He is a second-year RA for the hall and said he is grateful for the opportunity the hall has given him.

“To me, this means being able to stand up and say thank you to all the people I have interacted with here at CMU because they have all influenced me in some way,” Damian said. “I want to let them know their influence has real, tangible results.”

Dolecki, often introduced as “Rockin’ Robert,” is a senior from Farmington Hills. He is a Fabiano/Emmons/Woldt Hall Council nominee.

He is part of Sibs Weekend, for which he is PR co-chairman, and Leadership Safari, which he has been part of since being a participant freshman year. He also participates in various Alternative Breaks and hall council events.

“CMU has been a roller coaster experience with a lot of ups and downs,” Dolecki said. “I think it’s important for a Homecoming ambassador though, because it shows that once they’ve been knocked down, they haven’t stayed down.”

Reusch was nominated by Sigma Alpha Epsilon, of which he is president.

In addition to his fraternity, he dedicates his time to College 101, an alternative education program on campus. Reusch is also a Leadership Safari guide, a campus ambassador and is becoming a member of the National Society of Leadership and Success.

“It’s just a blessing that we are all put in the position to be Homecoming ambassadors,” Reusch said. “I’m not any more special than any other person and I’m just rooting for all of us to have a good week.”

Voting for golden ambassador will be opened until Friday at vote.cmich.edu.