Children play, learn basics of basketball

vgz-peakbasketball-01
Victoria Zegler/Staff Photographer Mount Pleasant resident Jayden Cook, 5, has his shoes tied by his father Johnnie Cook after playing Partners Empowering All Kids basketball activity Thursday night at Fancher Elementary School, 801 S. Kinny. PEAK is administered by the City of Mount Pleasant Parks & Recreation Department, in partnership with Mount Pleasant Public Schools.

The Start Smart basketball program aims to teach kids more than just how to dribble a ball.

“They’re still working on their coordination at this age, but it’s all about them having fun,” said Ashlii Barlow, coach of Start Smart basketball. “That’s our main thing.”

Barlow began working with the program last summer, but it has been going on for at least four or five years, she said.

The program will be held from 6 to 6:50 p.m. and again from 7 to 7:50 p.m. Wednesdays and Thursdays for the next six weeks at Fancher Elementary, 801 S. Kinney Ave.

The program familiarizes children ages 3 to 5 with the fundamental skills needed to be successful in the sport. Other Start Smart programs offered throughout the year include soccer, flag football, tennis and golf.

“It teaches them the basic skills of the sport like dribbling, ball-handling, shooting and just getting them started to prepare them for the next level,” Barlow said.

The program also wants to stress parental involvement and having a good time, she said.

Barlow said they try to encourage everyone to come out to the program.

It’s always a fun time, she said.

“We encourage parents to come and learn with their kids,” Barlow said. “It’s really just being active with the parents.”

Barlow said introducing kids to the sport and getting them aware of the basics is what the program is all about.

Robyn D’Reaux of Mount Pleasant enrolled her son Caleb D’Reaux-Rodgers, 4, in the program.

“He is very excited to be here,” D’reaux said. “He loves basketball and it’s a good way to start up and get him some basic skills.”

Caleb has also done the soccer Start Smart program, but basketball is his favorite sport, she said.

When he grows up, Caleb said he wants to be a basketball player.

“I really like dribbling,” he said.