COLUMN: Forever divided

I came here for a reason.

In no way was I attracted to the desolate town of Mount Pleasant, dense campus or mediocre athletics.

Despite its golden reputation of activities that take place Thursday through Saturday, I knew this was the place for me. Central Michigan University was united, and not just to students that ran back and forth on a field.

Freshman year brought Leadership Safari, where I personally witnessed how close of a relationship students had with not only each other, but also faculty. At that point in time I didn’t even know there was a separation of faculty and administration. I was an innocent, simple boy looking for change.

A semester load of “weeding out” classes meant long hours and a first-name basis with each of my professors. They all made it clear they were there for me, to help guide, shape and instill pride. I bought it.

Two years later, the terms “faculty” and “administration” are quite obviously separate. Within these titles are teachers, assistants and a president that I once knew to be together. Within days, CMU instantly became nationally known for its inabilities. The school I had once chosen for its unity had valiantly ripped itself apart once, showing that personal gain will always crush all else.

It’s hard to imagine that people could want more in this time of economic turmoil. I grew up believing I could do what I wanted no matter the pay. I grew up believing the little guy meant more because they were in it for the right reasons. Money only ruined things, most commonly people.

To me, CMU was the little guy. But even the little guy can grow. The same professors that put their hearts into helping me were now the same ones picketing across campus on my first day of class. The same president that ensured university integrity now sees me as something lower than an adult.

Business is business and I understand that, but that’s the very issue here. Is there really a dollar sign attached to wanting to teach? Is there really a price cap on supporting worthy professors? Looking back on an institute of learning, I can’t help but recognize the one lesson I have learned: Respect is dangerous because respect will force you to pick sides.

There are many feasible explanations for this university’s current position, but I would like to bring it back to square one. We’re all here for a reason and I damn well hope it’s not for money.

This is my first and last column. I’m no writer, but I do have an opinion. What I am is a man who once was a boy in this very same place. As I depart, prematurely, from this establishment all that is left is my opinion and a bad taste for the little guy turned big.

Divided we are and together we are lost.