CMU volleyball loses to Illinois in NCAA opening round

An exciting season ended Friday night for the Central Michigan volleyball team as it lost in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

The Chippewas were swept in three games against the No. 3 overall seed Illinois.

“We’re there we just have to continue to play aggressively,” said head coach Erik Olson. “This program just made a huge step forward and is forever changed.”

The Fighting Illini finished the season as the No. 1 RPI team in the nation. It was a an important step for the Chippewas just to be in the tournament.

“We’ve really grown since last season,” said senior middle blocker Kaitlyn Schultz. “It’s a big accomplishment just getting here for the first time so that is a big step for us and I’m really proud of our team.”

The Chippewas struggled to get anything going in the first game falling to an early 15-5 deficit, but they battled back to lose the game 25-16 meaning they outscored Illinois 16-10 to finish game one. CMU lost that game 25-15.

In game two CMU jumped out to an early lead on the Illini and the two battled back and forth but the Chippewas couldn’t pull out the win and was dropped 25-22. In game three it was back and forth yet again, still the Fighting Illini pulled away to win 25-18.

“We kind of freaked out a little in game one but we settled down,” Olson said. “We were there, just a few points here and there and a little push and this match goes longer.”

Schultz led the offensive attack with 11 kills while sophomore setter directed 34 assists. Junior outside hitter Lindsey Dulude added in nine kills of her own.

“Schultz was pretty good behind the setter (Maxwell) and was pretty effective,” Olson said.

On the defensive side the Chippewas recorded 40 digs with sophomore libero Jenna Coates and Dulude leading the way with nine while senior and junior defensive specialists Kelsey Detweiler and Samantha Brawley each had six.

Schultz career came to end tonight. Her four years is arguably the best of any CMU volleyball player ever.

She is the only one to earn four All-Mid-American Conference honors, she is one of 14 in the 1,000 kill club, she led her school to its first MAC Championship, won the tournament MVP and got it into its first ever NCAA Tournament appearance.

“It’s sad that it’s my last time playing with these guys,” Schultz said. “They were probably my favorite team by far.”