CMU Faculty Association ratifies contract, three quarters of members cast vote

The Central Michigan University Faculty Association ratified its 2011-14 contract Thursday night after more than seven months of bargaining with the university, including a strike on the first day of fall semester.

Nearly three quarters of the members cast a vote, FA President Laura Frey said in an email obtained by Central Michigan Life.

The FA has no plans to release the vote count, Frey said when reached for comment. The numbers were not being released to members.

The contract was tentatively agreed upon Dec. 1 at the Isabella County Courthouse after about 14 hours of bargaining. The agreement allows the FA to keep MESSA for health care if members absorb premium increases but includes no salary changes from the university’s original offer made before the fall semester began.

CMU’s Nov. 11 offer allowed FA members to keep MESSA only until June 30 and under certain conditions.

CMU Director of Public Relations Steve Smith said the university was pleased to see the contract ratified.
"Without question, the extended process that ultimately resulted in this agreement was challenging and, at times, divisive," Smith said. "We must now move forward as one university and do all that we can do — together — to make this institution even stronger."

The contract freezes salary for this year, with a 2.25-percent increase in year two and a 2.5-percent increase in 2013-14.

The FA had originally proposed to accept a salary freeze during the fall 2011 semester, with a 2.2-percent increase spring semester, a 3.7-percent increase in year two and a 3.9-percent increase in 2013-14. On Nov. 22, the FA proposed a one-year contract, which included a pay freeze for the 2011-12 year.

At the university's request, the contract also excludes College of Medicine faculty from the bargaining unit. Originally, CMU proposed to also exclude coaches hired after July 1, 2011 and faculty in any other "professional program."

Under the contract, CMED tuition remission is capped at the in-state doctoral graduate cost. Tuition remission refers to faculty and other full-time employees at CMU receiving 24 free credit hours per year for themselves, their spouses or their dependent children.

The FA originally wanted to increase the cap from 24 to 30 credit hours and offer reimbursement for courses unavailable at CMU but taken at other schools. Also included in the contract is a study committee to review issues related to ProfEd will be created.

In addition, the contract states that if a faculty member goes on total disability leave, the member’s college will only be obligated to hold a tenure-track position available for two years, instead of four, in case the member returns to work.

Faculty salary for supplemental activity such as summer sessions, off-campus/online courses and overload work will be capped at $2,750 per credit hour. However, the earnings formula will remain unchanged.

The contract will also allow CMU to void a course development contract if the course is not completed within the contracted timeframe.

The FA Executive Board will meet Jan. 19 to begin planning for 2014, Frey said in the email to members.

The Board of Trustees must ratify the contract as the final step, Frey said.