COLUMN: Breaking out of old habits

After a hardworking semester for most students, a whole month off for winter break was well deserved.

However, if your winter break was anything like mine, then it was not very productive. It might have consisted of things like visiting family and friends, attending parties and watching TV.

At first sight it seemed like a great way to spend my “time off.” After all, winter break is the time to cool off and gather yourself.

Looking back on my break I can say that I don’t regret the way I spent my time, but I wouldn’t like for all of the upcoming breaks to be the same.

Plenty of students around campus may have had a much more productive break experience that consisted of traveling, working or volunteering.

Those breaks could have counted toward a new life experience, earning money or making a positive change in the life of others.

For example, some of my friends chose to go on a week-long alternative break to New York where they helped disabled children. They made memories and changed lives.

Although having a very productive winter break can take away time from relaxing and catching up with loved ones, the advantages could quite possibly outweigh the disadvantages.

We will have a chance to take time away from our normal schedules next during Spring Break. The break starts at the beginning of March and lasts for a week. I’m sure students are already planning on what they will do with this time off.

Some students will choose the less productive route and rest up like I did this winter, while others might choose to be more productive.

This Spring Break I have taken the initiative to volunteer for Outreach 360 in the Dominican Republic and help children at an orphanage learn English.

I hope to accomplish many things within a week, probably more than I had accomplished the whole month of winter break.

It may not be a waste of time to spend spring break relaxing, yet students may have a better experience if they choose to do something more productive.

It’s all about looking at the possibilities that lie in front of you, giving yourself more options and doing what you feel is best with your time off.

I don't think I am the only student who, reflecting on my break, realized I am hoping the next one is more productive.

At the end of the day, life is what I make of it, and my breaks will only be what I make them.