Retired elementary teacher gives presentation on Ganiard History Project

Val Wolters found a way to stay active with Ganiard Elementary School after she retired from her 23-year teaching career.

She created the Ganiard History Project.

The Central Michigan University graduate said she got the idea when a child asked her about George Ganiard, who served as Mount Pleasant School District's superintendent for 25 years.

While still teaching, Wolters started the Garniard History Club for third and fourth graders in which 45 kids attended, eventually leading to the start of the Ganiard History Project.

As part of the project, she stopped by professor Marguerite Terrill’s EDU 493 class Wednesday morning to give a presentation about the history of George Ganiard and Ganiard Elementary School, as well as her experiences as a teacher.

“After Ganiard’s passing, the PTA board unanimously decided to vote to change the school’s name after him,” Wolters said. “It was originally West Side School because of its location on the west side of Mount Pleasant.”

Ganiard died in 1939 at the age of 56.

The students in the class are also a big part of the elementary school. Nineteen of the 25 students enrolled in the class are volunteering their time as recess and lunch room monitors and teacher aides in the classroom.

For Escanaba junior Kaylee Hanson, this was a great way to learn about what was around years ago.

“I thought it was interesting,” Hanson said. “It’s good to know what’s around you, and know the history of the community.”

The teaching experience Wolters brought to the class also had an impact on those in attendance.

“It showed students to do what they do, and find what’s valuable in the classroom,” said Milford senior Jordan Fox.

Along with the project, Wolters is also collecting donations to help grow the Ganiard History Project Scholarship Fund. The goal is to reach $10,000 to use for multiple scholarships worth $500 each. The scholarship is for graduating seniors at Mount Pleasant High School who also attended Ganiard Elementary School.

When asked why she continues to contribute to this school, Wolters said she “strongly believes in them” and the scholarships that help kids further their educations are “the important part of the project” to her.

To make a donation to the Ganiard History Project, go to mpacf.org and click “Donate Now” to designate a donation.