Jerry Tubbs, former VP of business and finance, remembered for his love of biology, students

tubbs
JERRY AND LORRAINE TUBBS

Jerry Tubbs, former vice president of business and finance at Central Michigan University and treasurer on the board of trustees, died on Sunday after an extended illness. He was 79.

Several who knew him remember his legacy and efforts at the university fondly. Tubbs, a Mount Pleasant resident, aided with several prominent projects at the university during his role as the executive to Dr. N. Bovee, vice president of business and finance. He was later promoted to the position, and became a supporter of the Beaver Island Biological Station.

Former CMU Biological Station Director John Gillingham, who worked closely with Tubbs at the Biological Station, said the island would be a completely different place if it weren't for Tubbs and his contributions.

"He was truly a friend of the biological station," Gillingham said. "Prior to his retirement from CMU, he was really instrumental in seeing that we got funding for student housing on the island as well as the very first research building."

Retirement did not mean the end of Tubbs' support for Beaver Island and its activities.

"Following retirement, he spent a lot of time on the island volunteering and doing carpentry work," Gillingham said. "There is not a building or trail in the area that he hasn't left his mark on or helped to build. His carpentry work wouldn't have been possible if he hadn't furnished the station with the funds and possibility to buy the tools necessary in the first place."

Tubbs was also very involved with the development of several facilities on campus. Jerry Scoby, vice president of administration and finance at Ferris State University and former colleague of Tubbs at CMU, said Tubbs played an important role in establishing many of the buildings that today's students know and love.

"Tubbs oversaw many new capital projects at the university and had a leadership hand in the building of many facilities during the '70s, including the Rose Center, the Student Recreation Center, the Industrial Technology Facility and numerous others," Scoby said.

John Fisher, associate vice president for residence and auxiliary services, recalls another landmark decision in CMU history with which Tubbs was directly involved.

"He was there when they approved the original purchase of the wood chip burner that they have now at the energy plant, and he was quite involved because the director of the physical plant back then reported directly to him," Fisher said. "It was quite a big decision to start burning wood to produce the steam heat here at CMU, as opposed to using natural gas and oil boilers."

Tubbs also served as the treasurer for the CMU Board of Trustees during the `70s. Mary Kaye Murphy, former assistant to the board of trustees, said he was a strong advocate for student interests during his time on the board.

"Jerry worked on the continuation of trying to keep tuition costs for students as low as possible," Murphy said.

Funeral services will be held at noon Thursday at Immanuel Lutheran Church, 320 S. Bradley Street.

"He was an individual that many of us looked up to," Scoby said. "He provided great leadership for business and finance, as well as for the entire institution"