LETTER: College of Medicine progress is remarkable, needed

roger-l-kesseler

I have been following with great interest the progress being made by Central Michigan University in establishing the College of Medicine. The idea of a school of medicine focusing on training primary care physicians was being discussed during the last months of my tenure as a member of the board of trustees. Having accomplished so much in such a short period of time under the leadership of Chairman Dr. Sam Kottamasu, Dean Ernest Yoder, Provost E. Gary Shapiro and University President George Ross, is truly remarkable.

I understand medical students will be enrolled the summer of 2013 and the new $20+ million facility is complete and will soon be available for occupancy.

My wife Phyllis and I were both born and raised in Grayling, Michigan and we are acutely aware of the shortage of doctors in the northern rural areas of Michigan. We currently maintain a seasonal residence in the Traverse City area and have a vested interest in seeing quality medical care maintained in the Upper and Northern Lower Peninsula.

Addressing the projected shortage of 800 physicians in mid- and northern-Michigan and a total shortage of 6,000 physicians in Michigan by 2020 will be an important responsibility of higher education in the state, and having CMU leading the effort makes me proud to be a CMU graduate.

I am excited about the benefits of having a medical school at CMU. It may transform the academic mission of the University for decades to come. The synergy and expanded research capabilities brought by the College of Medicine will impact all of CMU.

My wife and I will continue to support the College of Medicine with our time and treasure and truly believe esablishing the College of Medicine is a “win-win” for the students, faculty and administration.

We look forward to seeing continuing visionary progress at CMU.

Roger L. Kesseler, 

Class of 1958, former trustee