Sibs Weekend expected to draw up to 2,000 visitors

Some Central Michigan University students will welcome their siblings to spend time getting a taste of college life the weekend of Feb. 3.

Office of Student Life Coordinator of Student Activities Damon Brown said he expects between 1,500 and 2,000 visitors at this year's events.

Brown has organized Sibs Weekend for six years, and said he always gets good feedback from everyone.

He said parents enjoy the comfort of seeing their children enjoy activities in a safe environment.

“It's a great way for CMU students to spend time with their loved ones,” he said. “It gives them a chance to be a kid again.”

Volunteer Co-Chairwoman Kristin Turbiak said she remembers visiting her older siblings while they were at CMU. She valued those times, and wants to help others feel the same love.

“I hope everyone has fun,” the Livonia junior said. “If I see people smiling, I'll know we did a good job.”

Volunteer Co-Chairman Robert Dolecki has been planning this year's Sibs Weekend since last April. The Farmington Hills senior said it's a great opportunity to show siblings what college is like.

“They get a chance to see what it's like to be independent,” Dolecki said. “It's a great time.”

The events will start at 3 p.m. Feb. 3, and will include bowling, bingo and glow-in-the-dark miniature golf.

Brown said the most popular event in the past has been the carnival in the Student Activity Center, which features inflatables and laser tag. The carnival starts at 2 p.m. on Feb. 4.

The carnival may have competition for the most popular event this year though, as actor and comedian Brandon T. Jackson will perform in Warriner Hall's Plachta Auditorium.

Jackson takes the stage at 8 p.m. Feb. 4. He has had roles in movies such as "Tropic Thunder," "Fast and Furious" and most recently "Big Mommas: Like Father, Like Son."

Other activities include bowling, a “Thinkfast” game show and comedian John Cassidy. Cassidy, who is a balloon artist and magician, holds several Guinness World Records, including one for completing 654 balloon sculptures in one hour.

A detailed schedule of events is available at cmich.orgsync.com/sibs. Registration can be completed through the same website.

Online registration for Sibs Weekend will be open until 5 p.m. Friday. Registration fees include $30 for each sibling and $10 for each parent. CMU students accompanying a sibling have free admittance.