Baseball powers its way to first victory of the season

A fast start propelled the Central Michigan baseball team to its first victory of the season on Sunday.

The Chippewas put the pedal to the medal early, scoring six runs before Troy even picked up the bat. CMU won 14-7 to conclude an opening three-game series in Troy, Ala.

"It was important that we kept scoring," said head coach Steve Jaksa. "The way the wind was blowing today (Sunday), it was blowing hard and if you can hit the ball pretty good, it's going to carry a long way. We needed to keep scoring and we did."

Shortstop Jordan Dean had two at-bats before any Trojan had one because CMU went through its entire lineup in the first inning.

Dean led off with a single and eventually scored off a Nate Theunissen single into left field that brought in Dean and Tom Lally, giving the Chippewas a 2-0 lead.

The lead extended when Sam Russell grounded out to second base. Theunissen advanced to third and Arnold – who reached on a fielding error —scored.

The fast start continued when Troy began to hurt itself, allowing Theunissen to score on a wild pitch by starting pitcher Adam Purdy.

Eric Wrozek broke the doors wide open when he doubled into left field, scoring Nick Regnier and Reid Rooney to conclude the six-run first inning for CMU.

CMU starting pitcher Rick Dodridge kept the Trojans at bay, allowing just three earned runs in 5 2/3 innings. He struck out six batters, but struggled to find the plate, walking five in the victory.

Arnold and Theunissen, the three and four hitters, combined for nine of the 14 runs.

Arnold, who has four home runs in three games, went 3-for-5 and smashed two of those four home runs in the victory. He hit a solo shot in the second inning and then extended a 9-3 lead to 12-3 with a three-run homer in left field.

Theunissen had a game-high five RBIs, going 3-for-5 and belting a home run in right-center field in the sixth inning.

“Nate had some decent numbers,” Jaksa said. “He did have one stretch where he didn’t swing it real well, where he had trouble picking the ball out, but overall, you know. And obviously, Will was real good.”

The Chippewas (1-2) are off until the weekend where they face Stetson in a four-game series in DeLand, Fla.