Sibs Weekend 'all about the fun' for students and younger siblings

sibs_01
Andrew Kuhn/Staff Photographer Actor/Comedian Brandon T. Jackson performs at Plachta Auditorium Saturday night on the campus of Central Michigan University in Mount Pleasant. Jackson's performance was part of the Sib's Weekend entertainment on the CMU campus.Andrew Kuhn/Staff Photographer

Thousands of students and their siblings came together to celebrate Siblings Weekend 2012.

Office of Student Life Coordinator of Student Activities Damon Brown said the motivating factor for him during Sibs Weekend is seeing the smiling faces.

Visitors included students' legal siblings, as well as those considered family. The weekend featured events like rock climbing, comedian Brandon T. Jackson performing Saturday night and the Think Fast game show.

More than 50 teams of students and their siblings raced each other and the clock for points and a chance to win a $200 prize. Between rounds of pop culture trivia were two on-the-spot talent competitions. Nine-year-old Tyler Bader won the crowd's vote in the first competition with his break-dancing demonstration.

“I didn't know if I was going to win,” Bader said. “I just tried.”

Bader and his older brother Jon were at Sibs Weekend with their babysitter, Jenea Bohannon, who said Jon and Tyler loved Sibs Weekend.

“They had so many things for the kids to do to keep us busy and entertained,” the Alma junior said. “It's all about the fun for them this weekend.”

Bohannon said Tyler had the most fun at the Club Bovee dance and Jon had the best time playing laser tag at the Sibs Weekend Carnival.

Laser tag was only one of the many activities at the carnival.

Farmington junior v and her cousin Heather spent hours at the carnival. They went swimming, got balloon animals and played on the giant inflatables.

“This year was the best,” Heather said. “They [carnival games] were all really fun.”

The Albrechts were at the carnival with their friends, Valerie and Heather Gladd. Valerie and Heather are cousins who said they consider themselves siblings.

“We used to spend whole summers together until I started college,” she said. “Sometimes we just say we are sisters.”

The Gladds agreed they have enjoyed Sibs Weekend two years in a row. Since they only get to see each other around major holidays, they now consider Sibs Weekend one of those holidays.

“Both years were best because we get to see our sisters,” Valerie said.