Sigma Alpha Epsilon Snowfest fundraiser set to begin Feb. 20

Sigma Alpha Epsilon will host its eighth annual Snowfest fundraiser to support the Children's Miracle Network.

All proceeds from this week-long event, beginning Feb. 20, will go to the Helen Devos Children's Hospital.

Snowfest is a competition between sororities who compete for points by participating in or attending different events such as making donations, winning competitions and making gift baskets for the silent auction. The winning sorority will be honored at Sigma Alpha Epsilon's True Gentleman dinner.

Things will kick off from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday in the Bovee University Center's Down Under Food Court with the Children's Miracle Network Donation Table.  For $1 people can decorate a card for a child and every card/dollar a sorority donates will earn them one point.

The Central Michigan University Greeks Got Talent show will be held from 7 to 10 p.m. Tuesday in the Bovee University Center Auditorium. The talent show will be limited to Greek Life members. Admission will be $1 at the door and there will be a $10 registration fee to compete.

A Date Auction will be held from 7 to 10 p.m. Wednesday in the UC Auditorium. In this event, fraternity brothers will be auctioned off for specific tasks like cooking or cleaning or for dates. Each dollar spent on a brother will be one point earned for that sorority.

The Miss Minerva Pageant will be held from 7 to 10 p.m. on Thursday in the UC Auditorium. The pageant will consist of three rounds. The first will give contestants five minutes to perform a talent. The second is called My True Gentleman, in which contestants will select a word that begins with each of the letters S.A.E.T.G. to describe their definition of what a true gentleman means to them. Finally, the third round will have contestants respond within one minute of being given a list of potential questions. The winner will receive $100 toward their philanthropy and 50 points. Admission will be $1 at the door.

The final event will be the Pancake Olympics, which starts at 3 p.m. Friday at the Sigma Alpha Epsilon house, 1001 S. Main St. . This event will be open to both fraternities and sororities. Teams will be allowed exactly four members and the fee will be $20 per team. The Olympics will consist of four rounds with each single member competing, and a final fifth round where the entire team will compete.

Also, as an optional event, there will be a Pancake Creation Contest starting 4 p.m. Friday at any participating sorority house. There will be a $15 registration fee to enter and the pancakes will be judged by sets of fraternity brothers. Pancakes will be judged on taste, presentation and creativity. The winning sorority will receive 50 points, second place will get 30 points and third place will get 2o points.

Each sorority will have the opportunity to make a gift basket for the silent auction. For each basket made, 25 points will be added toward that sorority's overall week score. The baskets should be filled to at least a $20 value.

Sigma Alpha Epsilon has already finished a $15,000 endowment with the Helen Devos Children's Miracle Network and signed a $30,000 endowment in April, 2011.