Students learn from professional ceramic artist workshop Thursday

claydrawing_02
Chuck Miller/Staff Photographer Ceramic artist Malcolm Mobutu Smith works on piece during the Drawing Clay Workshop held Thursday evening at the North Art Studio.

Three professional artists spent two days demonstrating their techniques in the Drawing Clay Workshop for the first time in years.

Artists Malcolm Mobutu Smith, Justin Rothshank and Israel Davis each presented their own methods of creating with clay last Thursday and Friday in the North Art Studio.

Central Michigan University Art Gallery Director Anne Gochenour said it wasn't easy getting the event organized, but it was well worth it.

A $6,000 grant from the Michigan Council for the Arts and Cultural Affairs, along with funds from the past few years of clay sales from the CMU Ceramics Society made the event possible, Gochenour said.

Mount Pleasant senior Meghan Borland said she was very excited to see the artists come to CMU.

“We've been trying to get professional artists to come for years,” Borland said. “This is a big deal.”

Some of the artists, including Israel Davis, brought tools they made themselves for their demonstrations. Borland said the handmade tools were part of what made the presentation so fascinating.

“It's interesting to see how they do their work,” she said. “It's reassuring to know that it's not that easy.”

Macomb senior Bridgette Crockett made sure to see part of every demonstration. She said Rothshank's spontaneous method of throwing his clay was particularly interesting.

In the future, Crockett said she hopes to be an art therapist for children with special needs, which is why she takes an interest in demonstrations like these.

“I like the process of art,” she said. “It's very healing.”

Rothshank's spontaneous methods may be one reason he can support himself solely as an artist. He said he's never working on just one piece. It takes him two to three weeks for each, and he generally has 20 to 30 pieces in the making.

He said he was happy to be invited to CMU for this workshop and felt like it was a worthwhile chance to show his work style.

“All three of us worked with surface decorations,” Rothshank said. “We showed the students a broad spectrum of how to work with clay.”

Grand Rapids artist Israel Davis said the students could get a lot out of the demonstrations.

Davis demonstrated his work with screen printing. His workshop was notable in part because of his homemade equipment. Davis said he models his equipment off of commercial equivalents. He said it's not difficult for him, but he's always been good at working with his hands.

Davis also said he was happy to be invited to share his knowledge.

“It looked like a great show,” Davis said. “To be asked to do it was a great honor.”