Wellspring Literary Series returns with CMU alum poet, featured pianist and MA canidate

Keith Taylor’s most memorable feature may be his beard at first glance.

But to those in attendance at Monday’s return of the Wellspring Literary Series at Art Reach, 111 E. Broadway St., listening to Taylor share his love for nature with more than 80 people would suggest otherwise.

“When you’re 19 and you’ve got a crazy French lover, what more could you want?” Taylor said.

Taylor’s work explored humorous notions, as well as those more serious.

Several poems were shared from his time as a graduate student at Central Michigan University, including a poem with which he depicted a bar fight in Mount Pleasant.

Between poking fun at himself, Taylor shared “Guilty at the Rapture,” a poem first drafted in Mount Pleasant.

“On the 21 of May when the world ended, this poem went out, and for 37 minutes this poem had thousands of readers,” Taylor said.

Taylor, originally from western Canada, moved to Michigan to attend Central Michigan University because the university offered him money to attend graduate school.

Between earning his MA from CMU, Taylor spent more than three years in France and said he came back wanting to be French.

Taylor has resided in Michigan for more than 35 years since attending CMU and meeting his wife.

Robert Fanning, assistant professor of English language and literature, said he especially loved hearing Taylor read his work to current students.

“It’s important for our students to experience the work of a successful alum,” Fanning said.

Jeremy Ball, MA candidate, said he isn’t very political, before reading a poem about the uninsured’s experience at a physician’s office.

“I like writing for an audience,” Ball said.

Professor of Piano Alexandra Mascolo-David performed waltzes by Francisco Mignone, featuring playful, yet forceful rhythms.

She said her love for teaching came out as she aided the audience’s understanding with background of each waltz prior to performing.

“In these waltzes, there is very much the influence of the guitar,” Mascolo-David said.

She said she has performed and led workshops and master classes in Europe, Asia and the Americas. She has also given solo recitals in Brazil, China, Hungary, Italy, Portugal, Poland, Spain and in the United States.

Wellspring will return March 12 with fiction writer Caitlin Horrocks.