Baseball hits walk off to take series with Buffalo

bball_sunday

It didn’t look good for Central Michigan going into the bottom of the fifth inning down 12-4 to Buffalo with the series on the line.

But that didn’t faze the Chippewas (11-13, 2-1 MAC), after coming up short Saturday, losing 11-10.

The team had an opportunity to redeem themselves and did, winning Sunday 14-13 at Theunissen Stadium.

CMU, trailing 13-10 in the bottom of the ninth, scored four runs with one out. The winning 2-run RBI coming off the bat of senior designated hitter Nate Theunissen.

“I was just thinking I need to find some barrel,” Theunissen said. “Everybody was doing their part getting on base and I was just trying to keep it going.”

After falling behind eight runs freshman third baseman Joey Houlihan hit an RBI single, then on a passed ball junior Jordan Adams scored from third base making it 12-6. With two outs senior centerfielder Tyler Hall hit a home run to right field making it a 12-9 game.

“(Buffalo) banged the ball and we didn’t really have an answer until Dylan Rheault and (Dietrich) Enns came in,” head coach Steve Jaksa said. “Then we were able to put on the rally shoes and thank goodness for that.”

Senior Ryan Longstreth allowing six earned runs on nine hits in three innings. Senior Jon Weaver came in the fourth inning and gave up three hits on three runs.

Freshman pitcher Matt Trowbridge lasted just one inning after giving up four hits and two runs.

“We were hoping good things would happen when he (Dietrich Enns) went in there and Dylan (Rheault) was just tired so we had to get Enns in,” Jaksa said. “He hadn’t thrown in a while and everyone said he was ready and it looks like he is.”

Saturday the Chippewas were in a similar situation down in the ninth inning in another high scoring affair, but Buffalo was able to hold off the rally that time as it took game two of the series 11-10.

Friday CMU senior pitcher Zach Cooper held the potent Bulls offense to two runs and struck out 10 batters making him No. 10 all time on the CMU all-time strikeout list.

“Big win, especially the way we lost yesterday (Saturday),” Jaksa said. “We know how it is to start in a hole but it is much better to start 2-1 than 1-2.”

The Chippewas hit the road for the next five games starting Wednesday before getting back to Mid-American Conference play Friday through Sunday at Bowling Green. The team finishes the road stretch April 4 at Michigan.