Baseball team goes to Bowling Green while the Falcons are reeling

It might be the perfect time to play Bowling Green for the Central Michigan baseball team.

The Falcons are amongst the top three in the Mid-American Conference in batting average, slugging percentage, on-base percentage, runs scored, hits, RBIs and total bases but have lost their past four games. Their highest run total was three in as many games throughout the losing streak.

On the flip side, the Chippewas took two of three games against Buffalo this past weekend in their first conference series of the season, and the Bulls also rank atop a majority of the offensive categories in the conference.

The two teams enter their second conference series, beginning a three-game series at 3 p.m. Friday in Bowling Green, Ohio with senior pitcher Zach Cooper as the opening starter for the Chippewas.

“We have a goal of winning every MAC series, but to be honest, I’d want to take 3-of-3 so we can be the outright MAC champs the end, but absolutely winning the series is a very key component to your success in being a MAC champion,” junior Reid Rooney said.

CMU has won three of its past five games and has shown the ability to win pitching battles, offensive performances and come from behind games.

BGSU hasn’t won a game since March 21 when it beat Shawnee State 6-3 at home. And since that victory, the Falcons haven’t been home – a place that has been comfortable for them.

BGSU has been a completely different ball club in Bowling Green, Ohio.

In three home games this season, the Falcons are 3-0 and have outscored their opponents 33-16. On the road, BGSU is 3-8 and at neutral sites it is 2-8.

Due to colder climates of Michigan weather, the Chippewas have had their fair share of road games in the months of February and March. In those, they are 6-11 and have split their neutral site games at one apiece.

“I don’t think us being on the road is going to have anything to do with how we play,” head coach Steve Jaksa said. “We’re going to be ready to go. It’s more the execution of what we need to out there during the game.”

Following Friday’s game, junior pitcher Rick Dodridge pitches at 2 p.m. Saturday and at 1 p.m. Sunday’s start has not been decided yet.