Baseball team going for two-game win streak against Tennessee Tech

The Central Michigan baseball team has mustered-up a single two-game win streak through the first 17 games of the season.

After beating Davenport 15-7 on Wednesday afternoon, CMU (7-10) will look to start another two-game win streak taking on Tennessee Tech in Cookevillie, Tenn. this weekend.

All these non-conference matchups are building to Mid-American Conference play March 23 that starts with a three-game series against Buffalo at Theunissen Stadium.

CMU senior pitcher Zach Cooper gets the Friday start, Rick Dodridge will start Saturday’s starter and Ryan Longstreth the Sunday starter.

“I think we need to get Coop off to a good pitching situation on Friday, where he needs to pitch well,” head coach Steve Jaksa said after Wednesday’s victory. “If we can pitch it and play defense, if you have an opportunity to stay in those games and then you get that hit, then you can break it open a little bit and distance yourself, those are so key.

“The consistency of that kind of play and the consistency of the approach that we saw today, hopefully we won’t go back to some things that got us away from that.”

The Golden Eagles have been subpar at best, boasting a 6-10 record, winning just four of their first 10 home games.

They sit in the middle of almost every statistic within the Ohio Valley Conference.

The Chippewas look to take advantage of the subpar team, but are catching TTU at the wrong time.

The Golden Eagles are winners of their past two games after dropping six of their first seven.

In those wins, TTU has stifled its opponents with strong pitching, beating Evansville 10-2 and went on the road to beat Tennessee 5-1, who plays in the Southeastern Conference and is 10-6.

Junior Jordan Dean said the team energy will help catapult the Chippewas to win streaks as the season progresses.

“A lot of team energy and team chemistry,” Dean said. “We have a great group of guys, everybody is real close-knit. If we just stay up and stay into the games, we’re going to be just fine.”