Baseball: What we missed over break

Some college students head to some exotic place for spring break.

The Central Michigan baseball team went to two nice locations over break to continue its non-conference season by traveling to Lake Charles, La. to face Southeastern Louisiana and McNeese State. Then it was off to beautiful Manoa, Hawaii where the Chippewas played four games with the University of Hawaii.

It was an up and down trip for the Chippewas. With a late night double-header against the Warriors on Saturday, the team has split even over break going 4-4.

The Chippewas are looking for a third-straight MAC West Championship run.

Best Game: 7-6 win over Southeastern Louisiana

Out of the three wins, the best had to be the team’s 7-6 comeback win March 2 over Southeastern Louisiana, who had only lost one game at that point in the season.

The Chippewas were trailing in the bottom of the seventh 5-3 when they tied the game on a fielder’s choice and an error off a hit from senior first baseman Nate Theunissen.

Then, with two outs, fellow senior left fielder Sam Russell hit a double that scored two more runs giving CMU the 7-5 advantage.

In the ninth, Southeastern Louisiana got one run back and was looking for another with trying to steal second. But senior catcher William Arnold threw him out for the final out, giving the Chippewas the 7-6 win.

Worst Game: 8-1 loss against McNeese State

Out of the four losses, the worst had to be the following game of the double-header with Southeastern Louisiana.

CMU not only lost the game 8-1, getting just four hits in the game, but it also lost its senior leader Arnold behind the plate with an injury.

The Lions jumped out to an early 3-0 lead on the Chippewas who would cut it to 3-1 in the top of the third.

But the Lions answered that run with one of their own in the bottom half of the third, making it 4-1, and continued to put on the pressure with two runs in the fifth and sixth innings, making it an 8-1 final.

Break MVP: Senior Sam Russell

The spring break MVP had to be the senior left fielder Sam Russell who batted .357 with six RBIs.

With Arnold hurting and senior third baseman Tyler Hall still injured, the Chippewas needed to look to a senior to get some timely at-bats and help them survive without arguably the two best hitters on the team.

That senior was Russell, whose six RBIs included the two to pull ahead of the Lions in the comeback win during the first game of the break. He went 3-for-3 with two RBIs in a 6-5 win against Hawaii. Russell also had two against McNeese State to help end a two-game losing streak.

What to look for after break

There is plenty to look forward to after students arrive in Mount Pleasant after break.

The weather is now feeling more like spring again, and CMU will open Theunissen Stadium 3:05 p.m. Tuesday against No. 23 ranked Madonna University of the NAIA division and then play the following day at the same time against Davenport University.

Arnold saw some playing time at first base in the Chippewas 5-1 loss and recorded a hit, so look for him to return behind the plate.