COLUMN: Romney stronger than critics think

When it became clear John McCain would be the Republican Party’s nominee for president in 2008, Mitt Romney gracefully bowed out of the primary.

In his February 2007 concession speech to CPAC, Romney said, “If I fight on in my campaign, all the way to the convention, I would forestall the launch of a national campaign and make it more likely that Senator Clinton or Obama would win.”

This year, Mitt Romney’s mathematical advantage is now insurmountable. Despite what you may have heard, the GOP primary is essentially over. Other, less refined candidates would do well to follow Romney’s example from 2008.

They won’t, of course. Rick Santorum and Newt Gingrich will likely force an already brutal GOP primary to its unnecessarily protracted end. But when the mudslinging finally settles, the party will coalesce around the Romney candidacy, however reluctantly.

As a candidate in 2012, Romney has a lot of weaknesses. In a Republican party driven increasingly to the far right, his moderate record as Massachusetts Governor makes him a pariah to many conservatives.

Being among history’s wealthiest candidates, Romney struggles with alienating middle class voters in today’s economic climate. To make matters worse, he is widely seen as unable to connect with younger voters.

Despite these flaws, a Romney candidacy is considerably stronger than it seems. Much more than Gingrich and Santorum, Romney’s moderate record will appeal to crucial independent voters in a general election. These voters aren’t looking for conservative zeal; they’re looking for someone smart and pragmatic.

With strong independent support, Romney’s inability to “feel your pain” economically will be largely overshadowed by pervasive Republican disgust for the president. After all, the GOP’s singular aim since 2008 has been to destroy Barack Obama.

The incomplete nature of Romney’s candidacy and his many weaknesses must be countered by a smart vice presidential pick. There are plenty of popular conservative choices; Romney needs to make the right strategic decision.

Most popular on the shortlist are Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell, Florida Sen. Marco Rubio and New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie.

Christie won’t accept the nod. His presidential outlook in 2016 is too good. Despite his wild popularity among conservatives, McDonnell’s highly controversial “transvaginal ultrasound” bill would damage Romney’s support from independent women voters.

The obvious choice among these top contenders is Rubio. A Tea Party favorite, he could help Romney shore up support with skeptical conservatives. Rubio could help Romney win in Florida. He’s also young and charismatic; two things Romney decidedly isn’t.

With the right name on the ticket and despite his flaws, Romney poses a serious threat to Obama in November; more so than many give him credit for. His approval numbers might be up, but Obama’s hold on the White House is anything but secure.