MDOT looks ahead to construction on M-20 this fall

The intersection of M-20 and Leaton Road will be getting a makeover this fall thanks to the Michigan Department of Transportation.

MDOT plans to do the work in Isabella County as part of its five-year plan for the MDOT Bay Region. The cost for the entire region for the year is $42 million.

MDOT Bay Region Communications Representative Anita Richardson said the project is for widening and resurfacing.

“In Isabella County, that’s going to be the most important project, and the one with the highest impact,” Richardson said.

Bill Mayhew, manager of Mount Pleasant’s MDOT office, said bid letting for the M-20 project would take place in September and October. Construction would begin after that, but MDOT has no start dates selected.

“Depending on when we can get bids in, we might be able to get a bit of construction done by the end of the fall," Mayhew said. "It will definitely extend into 2013."

Mayhew said he didn't know of any other large MDOT projects for Isabella County in 2012.

“We go through and seal cracks in the road and other small maintenance, but there’s no other big projects planned,” he said.

Mount Pleasant and the Isabella County Road Commission will not be involved with the construction project at the intersection of M-20 and Leaton Road.

“That’s outside the city limits, so we wouldn’t deal with it,” said Jeff Gray, Mount Pleasant's director of planning and community development.

Although the road commission is not going to be involved with the project, Isabella County Road Superintendent Jim Pohl said assistance isn't out of the question if necessary.

“If there’s anything that MDOT would need help with, then I’m sure we’d be a good neighbor,” Pohl said. “But that’s MDOT’s project; we don’t really play a part in that.”