MOVIE REVIEW: '21 Jump Street' retro, comedic perfection

Television shows from the '80s being resurrected on the big screen certainly isn’t a new concept for Hollywood, so it isn’t incredibly surprising "21 Jump Street" was made.

On the other hand, it didn’t seem like there were legions of fans clamoring for a remake of the show.

Despite the lack of demand, it’s a good thing someone thought making it would be a good idea, because the result is a simultaneously goofy and clever comedy that manages to stay consistently funny from beginning to end.

The movie stars Jonah Hill as Schmidt and Channing Tatum as Jenko, two police officers who are tasked with going undercover at a high school in order to find out who has been supplying a new type of drug to the students.

The film doesn’t waste very much time setting up its premise; it shows what the two characters were like when they were in high school, their time training to become police officers and how they ultimately became friends in a relatively short time frame. It’s quick, humorous, gets audiences acquainted with the characters and then dives into their time as cops.

Hill and Tatum both do a great job throughout the film. Doing comedies is squarely within Hill’s comfort zone, so it shouldn’t be surprising to hear he doesn’t have any problems being funny. Tatum, on the other hand, is usually associated with more dramatic roles, but he is able to stick with Hill from the start and deliver just as many laughs.

While the storyline and character development aren’t the main draws of "21 Jump Street," the film does a nice job of building up enough of a connection between the audience and the main characters that when things take a slightly more dramatic turn, the audience actually cares.

Another great aspect of the film is that everyone pulls their comedic weight, regardless of how big or small their role is. Rob Riggle, Ice Cube, Chris Parnell and Nick Offerman are just a few examples of actors who make the best out of their limited time on screen, which goes a long way in making sure audiences don’t have to go very long before laughing again.

The humor of "21 Jump Street" manages to be goofy, self-referential and vulgar without ever feeling hokey, and most importantly, it offers audiences a fun and hilarious two hours at the movies.

Genre: Comedy Rating: R Score: 5 out of 5