Softball plays Kent State and Buffalo this weekend in MAC-opener

The Central Michigan softball team plays its first Mid-American Conference games today at Kent State.

The double-header begins with the first game at 1 p.m. and 3 p.m.

On Saturday, CMU (13-11) travels to Buffalo for a 2 p.m. game Saturday and a 1 p.m. game Sunday.

Head coach Margo Jonker said the team carries a lot of momentum into the weekend after scoring 25 runs against Detroit in a double-header on March 27. She said the team responded to Detroit's pitching with a variety of attack.

"We do a nice job of being aggressive at the plate and took advantage when their pitcher was off," Jonker said.

Although the team is young, Jonker said the team is ready.

"Honestly, now everyone on the team knows what's going on," Jonker said. "By the time they get to play in conference games, they're not young anymore. I think youth is an excuse, and I have no excuses."

Jonker said the team has focused on a Kent State pitcher who throws a lot of innings. She said the team especially focused on a certain tendency of the pitcher but did not elaborate on the specific tendency, because it could jeopardize the team's success at exploiting it during the game.

"The pitcher that throws a majority of their innings has a tendency that we need to be aware of," Jonker said. "We always attempt to find out the tendencies of other teams."

Kent State freshman pitcher Emma Johnson has thrown more innings, 91, than the other two starters combined, 85 2/3. Jonker did not specify which pitcher they are focusing most, but Johnson's earned-run average is 1.85, while the other two starters' ERAs are above 4.00.

Jonker said one of the broad goals of the team is to maintain a team effort.

"What we're trying to achieve is to keep playing team softball," Jonker said.

Jonker said earlier in the season the team has a season goal of week-to-week progression. She said the team has been successful each week in achieving that goal.