Student Services Committee promotes safety on campus during St. Patrick's Day weekend

When it comes to St. Patrick's Day weekend, the Student Services Committee is asking Central Michigan University students to remain safe.

Four committee members stationed at the Towers and library Thursday handed out bags of candy with tags that listed helpful information, such as taxi service phone numbers and tips about how to travel and celebrate responsibly.

Committee member Gabrielle Davidson, a California freshman, helped organize the event. She said people are more likely to make safe choices when they know they have safe options easily accessible to them.

“By providing the information of the easy ways to prevent disaster or harm, we hope to prevent any problems for our fellow students," Davidson said. "Not enough people realize that even if they are not participating in dangerous behavior, if they are going anywhere on a day where dangerous behavior is heightened by others, they can be at a higher risk of harm as well."

It was the first year for the program, and most students were very receptive to the members, said Lansing senior and Student Services Committee chairperson Tony Grettenberger.

Grettenberger said the program should benefit a variety of students, and it was especially focused on helping freshmen who might not be as familiar with the safety options available to them as older students.

“I just want to encourage students to be responsible and think before they act,” he said.