Zombies to invade Deerfield Nature Park for fundraiser

At the end of the month, zombies will roam Deerfield Nature Park to raise money for Special Olympics Michigan.

At 1 p.m. on March 31, a Zombie Attack fundraiser will be hosted by a group of five students from a RPL 430: Planning Recreation Programs and Events class.

During the event, runners wearing flags will climb obstacles, sprint for safety and travel along wooded trails to avoid deadly zombies. Runners who complete the race with at least one flag will have an opportunity to place and win a prize.

One assignment for the class is to plan an event, and the group decided on the  Zombie Attack! 1 Mile Run (Away!) event.

"I actually got the idea from the Boston Zombie run, which is a huge event, and I thought it would be cool and a great chance to try it out here " said Auburn senior Carley Shann, who is part of the group organizing the event.

Entry costs $5 for those who pre-register and $8 for registration on the day of the event.

The group chose to donate all proceeds from the event to the Special Olympics, which is meaningful to all of the organizers, Shann said.

"We hope to have at least 25 to 30 people at the event, but we want as many people as possible to come," said Ann Arbor sophomore and event organizer Kristina Graham. "There are no requirements, and it's only a mile, so anyone could run or walk it."

The coordinators also have planed to have 30 zombies roam the course while the participants are going through each of the different obstacles.

Detroit freshman Damon Golden has participated in similar events and said he plans to be involved in this one as well.

"I believe that this event is a good idea not only as support for the Special Olympics; I feel like it is going to be epic," Golden said.

Graham said people of any age can run in the event. If they are under 18, they have to have a parent-signed form.

"We are encouraging people of all ages and athletic ability to come out for the one-mile run to support our local Special Olympics," Shann said.