5K to be held Saturday; will benefit local high school's athletic program

Staging a fundraiser became more than just a senior project for four Central Michigan University students when they realized they could help kids in their community.

At 10:15 a.m. on Saturday, the students will be hosting a five-mile run at Mount Pleasant High School, 1155 S. Elizabeth St., to raise money for the MPHS athletics department.

Grand Rapids senior Allie Lebster said the local high school is suffering from budget cuts and is being pushed to the point where they will have to drop freshmen-level sports.

“We knew the people in Mount Pleasant High School weren’t doing that well, so we decided to help them out,” she said.

Athletic Director Jim Conway said the school is only providing the facility, but it’s the CMU students who have done the work.

“It’s great (they’re doing this)," he said. "We appreciate any support we can get from the college community."

Lebster said her group has received donations from local businesses for prizes for the event, such as coffee mugs from Java City, Pita Pit coupons and gift certificates, Lebster said.

There will be door prizes for each age group, and the race is not necessarily competitive, so people may walk all the way, she said.

She added in an email that there will be an Easter Egg Hunt with prizes for each egg returned.

“We wanted to give back to the community,” said Troy senior Nick Marckel. “I think all of us in our group had played a sport in high school. We want to provide an opportunity for all the kids (to play).”

MPHS Athletics Booster Club Treasurer Walt Schneider said the education board tried to cut seventh to ninth grade sports last year after a recommendation from school administration.

He said the Booster Club donated $66,000 so the athletic department was able to operate last year and support transportation costs.

“It’s not a good option having nothing for those kids to do,” Schneider said. “A kid should play at least one sport, and to take that away from them would just seem cruel.”

Schneider said they used to buy the children things such as uniforms and equipment, but now they have just enough money to sustain the program.

“There are several student groups who are trying to help us out. It’s a senior project they do every year. It’s highly appreciated,” Schneider said. “We’re just thankful that they want to help kids in Mount Pleasant.”

Schneider added that their budget from 10 to 20 years ago was $700,000 — since last year it has been no more than $180,000.

“We’re very thankful that they designated us, because every dollar is precious and we appreciate every dollar we can achieve,” he said. “Hopefully the fundraiser will be successful in terms of money.”

Lebster said they hope to raise at least $200 for the program.

She said the registration will begin at 9 a.m. and it costs only $5, but people can pre-register at springfever5k.weebly.com.

“I played a lot of sports in high school," Lebster said. "I would hate to think that someone like a freshman couldn’t do any of it just because there wasn’t enough money"