More than 50 attend dinner to raise money for HATS

pawsforclaws

Animal lovers came out Saturday to enjoy a meal while supporting the Humane Animal Treatment Society.

More than 50 people dined at the casino-themed dinner at Wesley Center hosted by the Central Michigan University Humane Animal Treatment Society.

An Italian meal was served on tables decorated with playing cards, confetti and coins.

The group raised $600 in its biggest fundraiser of the year.

In addition to the dinner, there were various silent auction items lining the room and several games set up as well.

"Everything we do is for the benefit of the animals," said President Jill Straszheim, a Muskegon senior. "We also educate our school and community on the issue."

The group also spends a considerable amount of time volunteering at the shelter, she said.

"This issue is important to me, because I'm an animal lover. It's an issue that needs to be addressed," Straszheim said. "If we can find a place for an abandoned animal to be placed, or find a way to help out with that at all, then that's what we will do."

Bryna Donnelly, Director of Rescue U, attended the event. Rescue U is a program that brings college students from all over the country to animal shelters in need of rehabilitation.

Donnelly said the mission of the Rescue U program is to provide animal shelters, municipalities and rescues with crucial help and support they require to provide adequate care for their animals.

"We travel around the world through a program called Pet U and we're trying to get these guys to come a help us with a program that we are doing this August in Grand Rapids," Donnelly said.

Julianna Ameel, a Chelsea sophomore and member of the RSO, also attended the dinner.

"I love animals; I always have," Ameel said. "Even at home I volunteered, so I did the same thing here. There (are) so many animals out there that are abused and don't get help and could be helped"