'Clash at Comerica' fun for all

DETROIT -- For one beautiful night, two baseball teams got to feel like big leaguers.

Central Michigan and Michigan State played in the second annual "Clash at Comerica," culminating a season long three-game series, an experience that both coaches, players and fans alike won’t soon forget.

“It’s a great feeling (to play at Comerica Park) and it’s definitely something you remember,” said third baseman Eric Wrozek. “It’s definitely something all the guys look forward too.”

Despite the school year being over, many Chippewa fans made the trip to Detroit to watch their team play in a big-league park.

“It was fun, a lot more fans come out and they are a lot more rowdy then at Central,” said Jackson senior Jenn Drechnowicz. “Everybody is having a good time.”

Drechnowicz is actually cousins to Wrozek and she came to the game with about 50 others on a charter bus that his parents rented.

“Seeing all of family and friends there cheering me on is something I won’t ever forget,” Wrozek said.

Wrozek and his family won’t forget what happened in the seventh inning. With CMU down four runs and the bright lights on and two-outs, the senior delivered a solo home run over the right field wall.

Although the Chippewas didn’t come away with a win, Wrozek at least made it interesting and gave them some hope.

“That’s something I’ll remember the rest of my life,” Wrozek said.

This is the second time the two teams have met at Comerica Park. The game last season, played in mid-April, was hampered by low temperatures and rain. This year was a stark contrast: a warm, clear night; perfect conditions for a baseball game.

“A day like today (is) obviously better to play in that kind of weather,” said head coach Steve Jaksa. “You get that kind of atmosphere, then you get fans to come out and see the products both teams have.”

It was a special night for the Spartans -- and for CMU.

For one night the players got treated like big leaguers, the fans got to sit in a big league ballpark, even the media got to sit in a big league press box.

“Another great event, and thanks to Dave Heeke and Steve Jaksa and everyone at Central Michigan for putting this one,” said MSU head coach Jake Boss. “It’s a thrill for us to come down and play here.”