CMU baseball sweeps doubleheader against Seattle

The Central Michigan baseball team swept a doubleheader against visiting Seattle University Wednesday, winning by scores of 8-7 and 4-1.

The Chippewas now have a seven-game winning streak and a 25-25 overall record, putting the team at .500 for the first time all season.

“It feels phenomenal,” said senior Tyler Hall. “I know we deserve this, we work really hard at practice and on the field and we’re starting to get some confidence on all sides of the game.”

In Game 1, which was a shortened seven innings, CMU won in a most unlikely fashion: with a walk-off wild pitch.

After falling behind 4-0 in the second inning the Chippewas produced three runs of their own, then took the lead against RedHawks (21-22) in the fourth following a three-run home run from senior William Arnold.

But SU battled back to tie the game.

After freshman starter Matt Trowbridge walked and gave up a single in the fifth, he was replaced by fellow freshman Sean Renzi, who struck out the first two batters he faced.

But then the RedHawks got to Renzi, stringing together three consecutive singles and a walk to score three runs in the inning.

After a scoreless sixth from Renzi and a scoreless seventh by senior reliever Jon Weaver, CMU started the seventh with a walk and two singles from junior Jordan Adams and a bunt single from freshman Nick Regnier.

On the first pitch of senior Eric Wrozek’s at-bat, the pitch sailed outside and out of the catcher's reach, allowing senior outfielder Sam Russell to streak home for the win.

“We played well again today,” said head coach Steve Jaksa. “We got ourselves down four runs, we went up then they tied it and we end up winning in the bottom of the seventh.”

Jaksa and the Chippewas didn’t have to battle through Game 2, as they took a quick 4-0 lead off a RBI double by Hall and RBIs from Russell and junior shortstop Jordan Dean.

And Luckily they didn’t need to score anymore runs.

Junior Rick Dodridge, on the mound for CMU in Game 2, threw five scoreless innings, allowing five hits and two walks while striking out five batters.

“I’m really happy with the way Dodridge battled in the second game,” Jaksa said. “We got those four runs and our pitching and defense held up.”

Freshman Dylan Rheault came into the game in the sixth after the coaching staff elected not to pitch Dodridge because of shoulder tightness in his pitching arm. Rheault struggled, walking three and giving up a run, and was pulled after receiving an out.

Senior Ryan Longstreth got out of a bases-loaded jam without any further damage and went on to pitch two more scoreless innings. Weaver, fresh off the win in Game 1, recorded the save.

“He (Weaver) had a very efficient day,” Jaksa said. “Jon is in a good place, he’s throwing the ball well and that sets us up well going into the weekend.”

The Chippewas are looking to not only add to that seven-game winning streak but to close the gap between themselves and Toledo, who currently sits one game ahead in the Mid-American Conference West standings.

They will attempt to do just that when Ball State comes to town for a three-game series beginning at 3:05 p.m. Friday at Theunissen Stadium.

“Those games are huge,” Hall said. “We have a lot of confidence right now and we’re going to be a really tough team to beat.”