CMU softball upsets No. 2 seed Miami; to play WMU in MAC tourney semifinals

The Central Michigan softball team took another step toward a Mid-American Conference tournament title Thursday, advancing to the semifinals with a 1-0 upset win against No. 2 seed Miami.

Senior first baseman Molly Coldren did what she does best, hitting a solo home run in the fourth inning to give the Chippewas a 1-0 lead -- all that they would need.

“It was a little outside and I knew she was going to give me a pitch and I thought it was going to be there," Coldren said. "Thankfully, she put it right there and I swung the bat."

Junior Kara Dornbos continued her domination in the circle, getting her second win of the tournament and lowering her tournament ERA to 0.44.

“I’m totally impressed with Dornbos and Cory (DeLamielleure) for calling the game and our defense,” said head coach Margo Jonker. “It was a great defensive game, one of those old fashion pitchers duels.”

Next up for CMU is fifth-seed Western Michigan, a team that upset No. 1 Ball State 3-1 Thursday. The Chippewas won both games against the Broncos earlier this season. First pitch is set for 5 p.m. at Firestone Stadium in Akron, Ohio.

“They are a very good team and they have a solid pitcher so we’ll have to keep up our defense,” Jonker said. “Our team is fired up to play them and I’m sure they are fired up to play us. There is a lot of history between the two teams.”