CMU's Wrozek, MSU's Fisher hit memorable home runs at Comerica Park

DETROIT -- Central Michigan senior Eric Wrozek and Michigan State sophomore Joel Fisher have something in common that happened in the second annual 'Clash at Comerica' Tuesday at Comerica Park.

Yeah, they both play Division I baseball. Yeah, they both play for colleges in the state of Michigan.

But that goes for all players involved in the game.

What separates them from the rest is the outfield wall at Comerica Park.

Wrozek smashed a solo home run in the bottom of the seventh inning just over the out-stretched arm of MSU junior right fielder John Martinez.

It was his third of the season, but this one happened at Comerica Park, arguably much more memorable than the home runs he hit back in mid-March against Tennessee Tech.

Routinely throughout sports, memorable moments are rewarded with the ball in baseball, or the puck in hockey.

Wrozek fidgeted with the presumed home run ball throughout the post-game press conference, but unfortunately for Wrozek, he didn’t even get his home run ball -- he received a replica.

“It’s something I’m going to remember for the rest of my life,” Wrozek said. “Actually, this isn’t the home run ball, it’s a major league ball. They thought it was the home run ball.

“I’ll take it anyway, but it’s definitely something I’ll remember for the rest of my life.”

Wrozek took a 3-2 pitch from MSU freshman starting pitcher Mick VanVossen out to left field and knew if the ball was elevated, he would take his chances.

“I tried to stay poised in my hole and I knew if I seen something up, I was going to put a good swing on it and I was fortunate enough to find the barrel and it went out,” Wrozek said.

Fisher’s home run was almost polar opposite.

Fisher’s home run gave the Spartans a lead (Wrozek’s didn’t). Fisher hit a two-run home run (Wrozek hit a solo home run), Fisher’s home run went to left field (Wrozek’s went to right field), and lastly, for Fisher, he’d never had a baseball carry over a fence in a collegiate-game situation (Wrozek has).

The No. 8 hitter for the Spartans in Tuesday’s game hit his first-career home run in college.

“Yeah, a big moment for him, his first college home run,” said MSU head coach Jake Boss Jr. “I told him in the dugout we’ve been waiting two years to see that, and he finally got one.”

He picked an ideal moment, too. Fisher hit the two-run home run soon after the Chippewas took a 1-0 lead over the Spartans.

It gave MSU the lead that it never squandered.

“You know, he hit it over the bullpen,” Boss Jr. said. “He’s a big, strong kid and he took a great BP and was able to get the barrel out and hit one on the screws today.”

The moment Wrozek and Fisher share is common between them, but also for their families.

Wrozek’s family rented a charter bus with about 50 to 60 people in it.

“It really meant the world to me,” he said.

Fisher’s family made the trip, too.

“It was a neat moment for him,” Boss Jr. said. “I know his family was here, I saw them before the game, so you know, again, it was a special moment that he’s never going to forget.”